Re: [Phys-L] fundamental notion of force --> using an arrow to represent something more than a vector

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Philip
Keller
Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2015 3:47 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] fundamental notion of force --> using an arrow to
represent something more than a vector

I admit that I draw diagrams like that all the time!

I'd be impressed if any student asked me: if forces are vectors, why can't I
put the force wherever I want?

I would say that you CAN, but that doesn't mean you have to! I can strongly
recommend where you should draw the force arrow, but it is a heuristic, not
a law of physics.

It's somewhat analogous to the question of where to put the pivot when
solving these kind of problems. There is a theorem that says you can put it
anywhere, but you will find your path to the solution easier if you put the
pivot where the greatest number of unknown forces act. Not a
requirement, just a helpful suggestion.

Similarly, you can put the force arrows anywhere you want. But you are
likely to avoid confusion if you draw them in a way that reminds you of what
the lever arm vector is. It's not a law of physics. But you are asking for
trouble if you do it any other way.

I am not sure I would discuss this with students if they didn't ask.
But if anyone argues that force is a "bound vector", I am not seeing it.

Check out
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_body_diagram>.
Under Modelling the Body it has:
"rigid extended. Stresses and strains are of no interest but turning effects are. A force arrow should lie along the line of force, but where along the line is irrelevant. A force on an extended rigid body is a sliding vector."
and
"non-rigid extended. The point of application of a force becomes crucial and has to be indicated on the diagram. A force on a non-rigid body is a bound vector. "
John is not making this stuff up.