Re: [Phys-L] foundations of physics: special relativity

The map method of teaching vectors is the one that most interests students. Especially if you have the campus grounds to make it into a scavenger hunt where you can teach compass readings and they have to draw the directional vectors on graph paper or on a map and get to where "X marks the spot". If it's not too cold when we get to this section I can get there early and bury something then map it out without anyone seeing what I am doing. It's not strictly physics and purists will object taking so much time to do it, but sometimes you just have to go astray and have fun. (This is for regular 11th grade high school physics, not honors and not general.)

If it's cold or rainy, etc. then I would use a large map of the US or the State and have them plot out travel vectors from city to city and find the mileage and the usual distance vs displacements measurements with resultants. Not as much fun as doing it outdoors, but it gets the point across. Throw in some gas mileage facts and have them figure out how many liters of gas it would take to go from A to B to C and back. Or use velocities, etc. and figure out how long it takes to go on your voyage. Lots to learn from all this!

In this private school where we don't have any State mandated tests to worry about I can take my time and do both the outdoor and indoor projects, if we have good weather for the outdoor project.