Re: [Phys-L] foundations of physics: special relativity

In Ancient times (1960s) I my first encounter with vectors was in my senior year HS physics course, and this was at a highly respected College-Prep HS. The fact that there was a Calculus class offered was unusual for the day.

Not sure when vectors show up (if at all) today, but I would suspect that most math teachers working with them might opt to concentrate on the component method. For my Algebra based courses I used to do a mapping lab (using local maps) with a series of directions (throwing in some simple kinematics) to find one's way around to some 'clever' destination from campus. Three methods were used--constructing vectors right on the maps, constructing scale vectors on graph paper and then laying out only the resultant on the map, and breaking each step into East/West and North/South components to construct the final resultant vector. Then, as was my preference, we dealt with most multi-dimensional problems by breaking them down into one-dimensional problems through deconstruction and then possibly reconstruction of the 2 or 3 dimensional vectors involved. Again, my guess is this would be the approach of most HS math/physics teachers.

rwt