Re: [Phys-L] just for fun?

On 1/4/2014 6:35 AM, John Denker wrote:
Some people who think it was OK to go to war based on
/highly/ imperfect information turn around and say we
must not take action on climate change because the data
is not 100% exactly perfect in every detail. Sheesh.

You don't want to politicize it even more, do you? If yes, just say so.

2) Research is very often open-ended. For example,
researchers are busy building climate models with
progressively finer regional detail.

Agreed. But wouldn't it be nice if we were to observe at least *some* significant climate phenomenon that the models predicted, or caused us to go back and find previously-unobserved model-predicted phenomenon in past data, before we impose a major public policy change with major economic costs on the world? So far AFAICT we need to adjust the models every time we get significant new data rather than the other way around. That doesn't instill much confidence in the robustness of the models.

3) Deciding to do nothing is a decision!!!!!

Anybody who thinks it is OK to make a do-nothing decision
based on imperfect information -- but not OK to make any
other decision -- is disqualified from making decisions,
and from telling other people how to make decisions.

Now, if deciding to do nothing is a decision as you say (with 5 exclamation marks) -- and as I agree -- then why it is *not* OK "to make a do-nothing decision based on imperfect information," but it is OK to make a decision to do something based on the same imperfect information? Are you speaking as a rational physicist here when you decide who to qualify and who to disqualify based on this? We are *always* making decisions based on imperfect information but we do not always decide to act on it. It's surprising you don't recognize that.

The fact that the Koch brothers want us to think otherwise
cannot change the physics.

Do you want to politicize it even more? Just say so. Oh, I already asked this question.