Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

At 10:04 AM -0700 7/9/12, John Denker wrote:

You don't need to be an MBA and/or a rocket scientist to see how this plays
out. The non-selective schools will go bankrupt.

Unless they can figure out a way to push to the head of the line at the public trough, or even better, to shift the costs to the students. Enter the student loan system, a la, the for profit universities. The student loans have been a cash cow for the for-profit post-secondary community, and to milk it for all it's worth, they have become almost totally non-selective, and they live on federally-funded student loans.

I would guess it won't be long before they will figure out a way to move that program into the high schools and perhaps even lower. Can you imagine a 16year-old HS dropout with a $20,000 student loan debt, underwritten by the fed. gov't? I'm sure there are private-sector "educators" out there salivating over the prospect.

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

I have been wondering for a long time why some of our own defense officials do not
put more emphasis on finding a good substitute for oil and worry less about where
more oil is to come from. Our people are ingenious. New discoveries are all around
us, and when we have to make them, we nearly always do.

Eleanor Roosevelt
February 13, 1948