Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

On 2012, Jul 09, , at 12:10, Hugh Haskell wrote:

At 10:04 AM -0700 7/9/12, John Denker wrote:

You don't need to be an MBA and/or a rocket scientist to see how this plays
out. The non-selective schools will go bankrupt.

Unless they can figure out a way to push to the head of the line at the public trough, or even better, to shift the costs to the students. Enter the student loan system, a la, the for profit universities. The student loans have been a cash cow for the for-profit post-secondary community, and to milk it for all it's worth, they have become almost totally non-selective, and they live on federally-funded student loans.

I would guess it won't be long before they will figure out a way to move that program into the high schools and perhaps even lower. Can you imagine a 16year-old HS dropout with a $20,000 student loan debt, underwritten by the fed. gov't? I'm sure there are private-sector "educators" out there salivating over the prospect.

Hugh

bc's Darwin corollary: Where there's money to be made it will be. The econ. version of ecological niches are always filled.