Re: [Phys-l] polar grid navigation - last words??

On 2/16/2012 2:36 PM, John Denker wrote:
...On real-world navigation charts, there are
strategically-located_compass roses_ ... so all you need to do is
parallel-transport your vector from a grid-course rose to a suitable
true-course rose. Note that different true-course roses will be
aligned differently, depending on longitude, but this is obvious
when you look at the chart and can easily be taken into account.
This is a good example of analog computing....

Well, I suppose there COULD be polar stereographic charts with "true compass roses"
though I even had trouble writing down that curious concept!
Perhaps John had in mind the circular slide rule such as Jeppeson's CR-3 which can be used for grid navigation. The meridians drawn converging on the pole provide
suitable orientation for local true references. He is certainly familiar with the magnetic compass roses printed on low level charts projected on the Lambert's conical orthomorphic basis for non polar latitudes. These are exceptionally useful where the variation does not alter by ten degrees every ten miles
(Q: how closely would such a track approach the pole?)

Instead of central projections onto a cone cutting two reference latitudes, the polar stereographic is a central projection on a plane tangent at the pole BTW.

But I was more amused by John's other suggestion: to look up a blog...

"Also note that not all south polar grid navigation charts choose the
antimeridian as grid north (as in the video). For example, see
http://www.andrill.org/iceberg/blogs/luann/all.php
and search for "Jess"."

This seems to advocate rotating a south polar stereographic until the image resembles a duck. Really? :-)

Brian W