Re: [Phys-l] Is something wrong here?????

At 2:26 PM -0700 2/14/12, John Denker wrote:

Suppose you are initially near the south pole and flying directly toward
it. Your true heading will be 180. As you pass over the pole, your
true heading will snap to 360. There is no ambiguity about this whatsoever.
Longitude has got nothing to do with it.

If you are at the south pole and wish to fly toward a particular point,
you cannot specify it in terms of heading. You can specify it in terms
of longitude, but that is not the same thing.

There is a singularity in the coordinate system at the pole. Wishful
thinking will not make the singularity go away.

In the polar regions air navigation is not by the Lat/Long convention, but by a square grid oriented parallel to the 0/180 meridian, and tangent to the earth near the mid point of the intended flight path.Compases are set to O° parallel to the Greenwich meridian (180° when heading north along the 180° meridian). This enables navigation to "look" reasonably normal, and gives a fixed heading to a track between points near, but not crossing, the pole.

With regard to the direction from the pole, of course, any location is *only* north of the south pole, but by convention, east Antarctica is that part of the continent that lies in the "Eastern" longitudinal hemisphere (the part of the continent in which the Vostok station is located) , while west Antarctica lies in the "Western" hemisphere (where most of the US Antarctic stations are located--McMurdo Station, the chief US Antarctic base is located very close to the 180th meridian). Nevertheless, talking about a location "southeast of the pole" is pure nonsense. The only description of a non-polar location that makes sense is by Lat/Long.

And of course, the entire continent is too close to the south magnetic pole for magnetic compasses to be of any use at all.

Caveat: I was last in Antarctica, and using the grid system of navigation described above, long before the modern air navigation systems (GPS, et. al.) were developed, so the system now in use could be different from the grid system I knew.

Hugh

--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

I have been wondering for a long time why some of our own defense officials do not
put more emphasis on finding a good substitute for oil and worry less about where
more oil is to come from. Our people are ingenious. New discoveries are all around
us, and when we have to make them, we nearly always do.

Eleanor Roosevelt
February 13, 1948