From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Philip Keller
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 10:50 AM
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators'
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Student Misconceptions

BC -- the videographer had already spent his whole demo budget getting
to the moon! I was referring to the video taken during the Apollo 15
mission.

As for how I handle error in my high school physics classes...well I
know the list won't approve, but I am going to give the honest answer
(and one that I believe is actually true for many high school classes):
I don't. There are several reasons for this. One is that is seems
boring and I'd feel bad cutting other material to include this or even
delaying. It's hard enough to climb past kinematics and vectors. I
don't want to get bogged down in error analysis. But another reason
comes from a rule that following this list has led me to. I call it
the "first-do-no-harm" rule: if I don't know how to teach something
right, at least try not to teach it wrong.

You'd be amazed how following this rule can shorten a presentation.
For example, when I teach thermo to my AP classes, the topic of entropy
comes up. What can I say that isn't wrong? "Entropy is a number
that..." Ok, that's as far as I get. (Surprisingly, that's more than
they need to know for their AP exam.)

So what correct things can I say about the error when finding the
acceleration due to gravity from the slope of a velocity graph
collected with a falling picket fence and photogate? _________