[Phys-l] Electronic Textbooks & MasteringPhysics

I have the possibility to switch to electronic textbooks and more online assignments (Specifically the "Mastering" package from Pearson). I was wondering what experience others have had with these.

I teach at a community college with a small enrollment in physics (typically 6-12 in both calc-based and non-calc-based). The "Mastering" package seems like a valuable system, especially for reading quizzes and practice problems.

The electronic text I am less sure about. The electronic text is considerably cheaper, but they only have access for 2 years, I believe. Perhaps I am too old-school and prefer holding a book in my hands. Do students learn better or worse from an electronic version? Obviously they can only work where they have access to a computer, which could occasionally be a problem. We do have 8 computers around the classroom, so they could at least share copies during class if we need (or I can project it onto a screen).

Anyway, what have you all learned when using such systems? any words of wisdom if I try this?

Tim Folkerts