Re: [Phys-l] Writing a review or lab report

I'm a writer. I spent many years supervising writers. One of the major hurdles I had to overcome in the beginning stages of that career was getting rid of the passive voice in my writing. Some of the people I supervised never got it. My daughter struggles with converting to active voice in her college writing. Please don't contribute to this major problem that plagues writers at all levels by actually requiring passive voice in any kind of writing. I grant that a great deal of "scientific" writing (in all subject areas) is passive, but the best writing, as John states below, is active.

As for lab reports themselves, I always used either oral reports supported by graphs and data or lab summaries that detailed at least one major concept the student learned. Never was crazy about standard purpose, materials, procedure, etc.

Bill