Re: [Phys-l] crutches versus shoes

On 04/14/2011 09:39 AM, M. Horton wrote:
I don't want to bring up a touchy subject again, but . . . "If FOIL is
taught improperly -- "do it this way because I told you to" --
then it is a special case disconnected from the general case. It's just
one more thing to remember." is a marvelous example of the ills of teaching
algorithmically . . . something that you proclaimed the virtues of a short
time ago. This is teaching an algorthm without an understanding of how or
why it works. That's exactly how I described, and educators describe,
teaching algorithmically.

It makes me feel better that, although we might use different terms to
describe it, that we agree that it is bad.

If that's all you mean by "algorithmic" then you personally are in
the clear. (I still think the world would be better off if people
would avoid this pointless and insulting abuse of the terminology,
but that is a very small point, and not the point I wanted to address
in this thread.)

In any case, the larger point remains. There is abundant evidence that
some educators -- whether or not they abuse the term "algorithmic" --
think that shoes and bicycles should be demoted to the crutch category:
a) Alas, some folks think the factor label method is a bad thing as
a matter of principle, because it allows students to solve certain
problems without necessarily having a deep understanding of
proportional reasoning and scaling laws.
b) Alas, some folks think Gaussian elimination is a bad thing as
a matter of principle, because it allows students to balance
chemical reaction equations systematically and mathematically,
as opposed to doing it by "intuition".
c) Alas, some folks think that pilots should learn to fly at a
small airport (so as to develop spot-landing skills) before going
anywhere near a big airport (lest they use the VASI as a crutch
and use all the extra runway-length as a crutch).

I invoke the principle that says don't confuse the presence of one thing
with the absence of another. With a good instructor and/or a little bit
of self-discipline, you can land your C-172 on the middle 1000 feet of a
10,000 foot runway. Knowing a systematic approach to reaction equations
does not prevent you from understanding what the equation means, nor vice
versa.

It is also possible to go off the reservation in the other direction;
some folks think crutches should be promoted into the shoe category:
x) Alas, some folks think the "density triangle" is OK.
y) Alas, quite a lot of folks think it is OK to pretend that there
are filled "Lewis octets" in molecules, because that allows students
to calculate the right answers to a certain limited set of questions
... even though this allows and indeed _requires_ students to form
wildly wrong models of what is actually going on.