[Phys-l] crutches versus shoes

First: A parable: Once upon a time there was a student
with a broken leg. We gave the student a crutch
-- *after* we took direct action to treat the underlying
problem (i.e. after setting the break and applying a cast)
-- *after* we carefully briefed the student on the correct
usage and limitations of the crutch.

On the other hand, crutches can actually /cause/ secondary
injuries, especially if overused or abused. And even in
the best of cases the crutch gets in the way, obstructing
development of normal performance.

So ... there are upsides and downsides to crutches. We
should not over-react to the upsides or the downsides.

If you see somebody using a crutch that is not really needed,
it is a good idea to wean them off the crutch, sooner rather
than later.

It must be emphasized that we are dealing with shades of gray.

To put things in perspective, consider shoes for example. Like
anything else, shoes can be used properly or improperly:
-- You probably don't want to wear shoes while playing water polo.
-- Industrial safety shoes are different from track shoes.
-- et cetera
Still, all in all, shoes are considered normal attire. Shoes
are not in the same category as crutches.

As another example, consider a bicycle. A good bicycle costs
more than a good pair of shoes. It takes some skill to ride a
bicycle at all. A bicycle used improperly can be very dangerous.
On the other hand, the upside is tremendous. The bicycle offers
many advantages to a normal person (not just an injured person).
Bicycling skills will not interfere with development of normal
skills in other areas. Bicycles are definitely not in the same
category as crutches.