Re: [Phys-l] What are your answers for this teacher?

I have used the triangle method both as a student and as a teacher. In my
experience, with most older students (10th grade and up), it's usually not
necessary, even for the weaker students. They have so much experience
manipulating simple equations that they don't need the tool.

However, I have an 8th grade class that's taking algebra-based (Regents, for
the NY folks) physics, and they found the triangle method incredibly useful
in avoiding careless mistakes. I think the decision to use or avoid the
triangle/circle method really depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
I guess you could view it as avoiding algebra, but you could also see it as
strengthening algebra skills.

Mike