Re: [Phys-l] About Radium

Rutherford did his thing in 1909 - before metallic Radium was produced, so I suspect he used the chloride salt?

At 3:40 PM -0400 4/7/11, Gregory Good wrote:
Dear Chuck and list folks,

Greg Puskar at WVU sent this on to me, and it turns out I'm working on
Rutherford right now for a new web exhibit we are mounting at the Center
for History of Physics at AIP. Radioactive materials generally were not
easy to come by in 1910, but they were available for purchase. There
were only a handful of suppliers. Rutherford received his as a "grant"
or loan from the Vienna Academy. There was a man in Germany who was
selling a particular product which escapes me right now. And I'm on the
road so I can't look it up. However, I will get you more specific info
next week when I am reunited with my notes.

Greg Good