Re: [Phys-l] copper cleaning

On 4/4/2011 4:58 AM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
I have a tarnished solid copper pole, about 1.5 cm thick and 40 cm long. I
hope to use it for heat/electricity demos. What is the best way to make it
look shiny? I have searched online and found a variety of ways, from using
vinegar to steel wool. Thought I'd ask the experts first before I try
anything. And once cleaned, what's the best way to store the pole to
preserve the surface? Wrapped tightly in plastic?

___
The conservator's way with oxidized specimens is cathodic stripping.
Attach an electrode at some point.
Provide a counter electrode such as a strip of stainless steel strip.
Connect the specimen to the negative pole of a low voltage supply.
Connect the counter electrode to the positive pole.
The supply could be a battery of a few volts or a battery charger.
Render the water electrolyte slightly conductive with an alkaline solution.
Bicarbonate of soda, or some such; washing soda has been popular in the past.
To preserve the bright surface, a dip in electroless nickel would keep
it bright, or a coat of silver polish.

Brian W