Re: [Phys-l] copper cleaning

On 04/04/2011 02:58 AM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
I have a tarnished solid copper pole, about 1.5 cm thick and 40 cm long. I
hope to use it for heat/electricity demos. What is the best way to make it
look shiny? I have searched online and found a variety of ways, from using
vinegar to steel wool.

Vinegar plus salt. If we're talking about the usual sort of
tarnish (which is a sulfide) vinegar plus salt plus wiping
will take it off very quickly. Vinegar by itself does nothing.

what's the best way to store the pole to
preserve the surface? Wrapped tightly in plastic?

That should work fine.

Anything that shuts out atmospheric sulfur will do.

Conversely, heating the thing over any kind of flame
is a big step in the wrong direction, because there is
likely to be sulfur in the fuel.