Re: [Phys-l] Gibbs paradox

On 4/1/2011 1:15 PM, John Denker wrote:
On 04/01/2011 09:33 AM, Carl Mungan wrote:
I think the question of additivity is if you *don't* mix them. Take
two identical copies of the system (say your two sets of decks, each
individually shuffled), put one on top of the other but don't
reshuffle (in the gas case, that would mean keep a partition in
place), and now ask: what is the entropy of this new "doubled" system?

If that's the question, I'm more confused than ever as to what
this thread is about.

a) There is a theorem that says that if the two subsystems have
independent probabilities, the entropy is additive. This isn't
even physics; it's just mathematics. You can prove it on the
back of a post-it note.

b) If we don't mix them, it cannot possibly matter whether they
are identical or distinguishable.

What am I missing?
I THOUGHT the issue was this - rendered in comic form:

In a rectangular cardboard box, with a central removable partition, place a dozen ping pong balls each side of the partition.
Shake well. 1)
Remove the partition. Shake well. 2)
Replace the partition with equal numbers on each side again. 3)

THEN

In this cardboard box place the dozen balls in one side,
and place the same quantity of ping pong balls dyed red
in the other side of the central partition. Shake Well. 4)
Remove the partition. Shake well. 5)
Replace the partition and rearrange the balls with equal numbers on each side again segregated by color. 6)

The questions: are the entropy values of arrangement 1) , 2) and 3) significantly different?
Are the entropy values of arrangement 4), 5) and 6) significantly different?
Are the two sets of Ss for 1,2,3, and 4,5,6 significantly different? Is this paradoxical?
Compare and contrast. :-)

Brian W

Brian W