Re: [Phys-l] teaching physics conceptually

In defense of Hewett he started doing this before PER.

But now that we have test of conceptual understanding he has never published
any results of such testing. In addition the idea of showing his canned
lectures to students is anathema in the PER world.

So while he started the ball rolling in a sense, his methods are
conventional which means that he will get conventional gain. His text does
have refutational passages, but refutational text by itself yields only
slightly higher gain compared to the large gain of IE.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I'm glad I'm not the only person with that impression of Hewitt. I
only used it once, but found that his "conceptual" explanations really
didn't foster understanding. Rather, they encouraged the student to
memorize the "conceptual" answer. In later versions since I used the
book it might have changed its approach to math, but I found that he
avoided even the simplest math in some cases, math that would have
made the conceptual image clear. Instead, he went around the math and
came up with his non-mathematical explanation that gave students the
impression they should be able to do the same thing. Students became
frustrated that they couldn't just "look at a situation" and figure
out what was going on.