Re: [Phys-l] teaching physics conceptually

I'm glad I'm not the only person with that impression of Hewitt. I only used it once, but found that his "conceptual" explanations really didn't foster understanding. Rather, they encouraged the student to memorize the "conceptual" answer. In later versions since I used the book it might have changed its approach to math, but I found that he avoided even the simplest math in some cases, math that would have made the conceptual image clear. Instead, he went around the math and came up with his non-mathematical explanation that gave students the impression they should be able to do the same thing. Students became frustrated that they couldn't just "look at a situation" and figure out what was going on.

Bill