Re: [Phys-l] Any teaching tips

On 01/27/2011 11:57 AM, Philip Keller wrote:

It is possilble that the ability to identify given information is a
reading problem. You may want to coach your students to recognize
certain code words:

"at rest" -- Vi = 0 m/s "to a stop" -- Vf = 0 "at its peak" -- Vy =
0 "dropped" --- "Vy = 0 unless it was dropped from a moving
object...

Yes, this is a good helpful comment.

What is here called "reading" is pretty much what I previously called
"algebra". Perhaps an even better term would be "story problem"
decoding skills. A decent "Algebra I" course would include lots of
story problems, but the algebra teacher may have punted on this.

How many times have you heard a student say "I hope we don't have
to do story problems. Ewwwww." My response is to say that in the
real world, everything is a story problem. If you ever want to
live in the real world, you'd better get used to story problems.

The constructive "tip" here is to check for story problem skills
*separately* from physics knowledge. There are tons of story
problems available that don't require any physics, or perhaps
nothing more than 2nd-grade-level physics. If the students have
trouble with those, you know you have to fix that before you
start worrying about the physics concepts.