Re: [Phys-l] How Much Value is Added at Elite Institutions - Response to Haim #2

I have no idea how to respond to that. I thought we were talking about assessing urban schools versus elite schools. Where did "white collar" come from? Marty had stated that only 10% care enough even to show up for parent-teacher conferences - I assume he is talking about urban schools. That 10% could certainly benefit by receiving a voucher that would allow them to afford ("white collar" can already afford this") to go to a real school instead of an institution. We are talking about benefitting blue collar here - or at least I was. Your knee-jerk class warfare response was inappropriate and off the mark.

Bob at PC

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of
trappe@physics.utexas.edu
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:29 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] How Much Value is Added at Elite Institutions -
Response to Haim #2

They are NOT TRAPPED by anything but their white collar greed..., ie,
saying that they need to be reimbursed or they won't participate is
nonsense. They are already participating. They just want a write-off
for doing what they are choosing to do.

Quoting "LaMontagne, Bob" <RLAMONT@providence.edu>:

If vouchers work only for the 10% who show up at parent conferences
then by all means let's give them the vouchers. Why trap them in
institutional settings with the other 90%.

Bob at PC