[Phys-l] word games

On 01/17/2011 07:21 PM, curtis osterhoudt wrote:
Well, language changes, of course. 'Miracle' originally meant "causing a smile";

I very much doubt it. Do you have any evidence for this?

You have to go back a lot farther than the 12th century.

Miraculum = object of wonder, amazement

This goes back lots and lots farther than the 12th century.
More than twice as far.

Yesterday I went to the local Chinese restaurant. The menu
was, as usual, riddled with spelling and grammar errors.

At the bottom it said
"Not responsible for lost articles."

I remarked that it should have said
"Not responsible for THE lost articles."