Re: [Phys-l] The Abysmal Foundations of Thermodynamics

On 12/07/2010 12:32 AM, Derek McKenzie wrote:

I recently came across a text that is incredibly thorough in intent,
but which differs so much from convention that I'm not sure if I can
trust it or not. It's called 'Thermodynamics - Foundations and
Applications' by Elias P. Gyftopoulos and Gian Paolo Beretta. I'd be
very interested in hearing what any of you have to say about that
work.

You can't trust it.

Let me quote an all-too-typical snippet from a paper by Beretta:
http://dimgruppi.ing.unibs.it/fisica_tecnica/quantumthermodynamics/WebSite1.pdf

the Keenan school at MIT has emphasized that the essence of the
second law of Thermodynamics is a statement of existence and
uniqueness of the stable equilibrium states of a system. The
recognition of the central role that stability plays in
Thermodynamics is perhaps one of the most fundamental discoveries
of the physics of the last four decades,

1) These guys consider themselves the embodiment of the "Keenan school"
or the "MIT school" of thermodynamics. They are calling themselves a
school in the same sense that there was a "Venetian school" of painting.

I never knew that thermodynamics had schools or movements of this
kind, or that it needed them.

2) Raise your hand if you think it is important to emphasize the
existence and uniqueness of stable equilibrium states.

Hint: Consider a spin system with an odd number of spins. There
cannot possibly be a unique maximum entropy state.

3) Raise your hand if you think this is one of the most fundamental
discoveries of the last four decades.

These guys are associated with the engineering department at MIT.
They boast that their mentor, Keenan, introduced the methods of
Gibbs into the engineering curriculum ... in 1940. I always say
better late than never. Hint: Gibbs's classic textbook was
published in 1902.

Actually, Keenan was a serious guy. I even own a copy of his
_Steam Tables_. There is however a cognitive dissonance. At about
the same time (1934) Richard Chace Tolman put out the book we mentioned
yesterday: _Relativity, Cosmology, and Thermodynamics_. Let's just
say that Tolman and Keenan had very different ideas about where the
frontier of thermodynamics was to be found.

Gyftopoulos and Beretta are not in the same league as Keenan.
Evidently they don't talk to the physicists, and the physicists
don't talk to them. They claim to have rebuilt all of thermodynamics
on new and more rigorous foundations ... but they have not actually
done anything of the sort.

A while back they held a conference so that they and other folks
in their "school" could opine about the meaning of entropy. I
watched the video, mostly out of morbid curiosity. It started
out embarrassing and rapidly got worse and worse and worse.