Re: [Phys-l] The Abysmal Foundations of Thermodynamics

It may not satisfy Derek's apparent thirst for extreme rigor, but as long as we're mentioning favorite texts, it seems to me that Dan Schroeder's, "Thermal Physics" deserves a shout out. Schroeder is an excellent writer. He anticipates the questions students might have and addresses them in an informal, active, first person style reminiscent of David Griffiths. Indeed, I often describe Schroeder's text as the thermodynamics text Griffiths would have written if he had written one. The first chapters of Dan's book can profitably be used in the sophomore physics curriculum and does a particularly good job of preparing students for an advanced course in stat mech.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona