Re: [Phys-l] The Abysmal Foundations of Thermodynamics

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Derek McKenzie
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 2:33 AM
To: physl
Subject: [Phys-l] The Abysmal Foundations of Thermodynamics

For some years now I have been frustrated by the lack of a text
providing an intellectually rigorous and satisfying foundation for
Thermodynamics. The subjects brought up frequently on this list
reinforce this frustration.

Although all branches of physics are, IMHO, generally taught poorly,
one can find, if determined, a handful of excellent treatments of most
physics topics in text books and journal articles, however
Thermodynamics seems to me to be an exception.

John Denker's notes are an excellent resource, but obviously not
intended to be the sort of self-contained treatise I am looking for. I
recently came across a text that is incredibly thorough in intent, but
which differs so much from convention that I'm not sure if I can trust
it or not. It's called 'Thermodynamics - Foundations and Applications'
by Elias P. Gyftopoulos and Gian Paolo Beretta. I'd be very interested
in hearing what any of you have to say about that work.

To get to my point, can any of you please refer me to a text, or a
collection of journal articles, or even a website, that treats
Thermodynamics with the logical consistency and conceptual clarity
that
is missing from virtually every resource I have ever encountered?

I'd Recommend Six Ideas That Shaped Physics by Thomas A. Moore (designed
for use in a calculus-based introductory physics course). Most of the
thermodynamics is in Unit T: Some Processes Are Irreversible of the 6
volume work, but there's quite a bit in Unit C: Conservation Laws
Constrain Interactions. The author's name has recently appeared in
Phys-l twice: he is one of the authors of a paper containing a figure
refered to us (in a discussion about thermodynamics) by John Denker in
< https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/archives/2010/12_2010/msg00114.html
;
in fact the figure to which John Denker refered us is very similar to
figure T6.2 on page 97 of the 2nd edition of Unit T; and Moore's Six
Ideas book is listed in the reference citations in the article Carl
Mungan referred us to in his post:
< https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/archives/2010/12_2010/msg00116.html

Failing that, can John Denker please tell me when he is going to write
one? ;-)

I am EXTREMELY keen to hear your thoughts on this one, as it is a
glaring hole in physics education at the moment.

All the best,

Derek