Re: [Phys-l] definitions ... purely operational, or not

I like the idea of using rockets for this. Do you then switch things up so negative and positive are in different directions? The rocket could be aimed at the plus or it could be aimed at the minus. And yes, this issue does bog things down. It just worries me that when we always use the same coordinate system, students will fail to see the big picture, which is that all of science involves people imposing their constructs on the real world. I like to think I'm helping people see a bigger picture when I state that the world does not come with pluses and minuses attached.

Bill

William C. Robertson, Ph.D.

On Nov 9, 2010, at 11:01 AM, Philip Keller wrote:

One reason students have trouble with this idea -- that we are going to call it positive acceleration when a car that is moving backwards slows down -- is that they learn kinematics before they learn newton's laws. So without context, this seems like an intentionally baffling convention that we have chosen to inflict on them. I find it helps to give them a look ahead: I ask them to pretend that they are riding in a rocket sled on frictionless ice, only able to control their motion with two rockets: a forward rocket (actually located in back) and a retrorocket. I tell them that in physics, positive acceleration is what the forward rocket causes. Negative acceleration is what the retrorocket causes. I find this helps them to realize that either acceleration (+ or -) will sometimes involve moving faster, other times slower.

But I also find that this is one (of many) ways that my honors students separate themselves from my non-honors classes. In a non- honors class, I really have to ask myself is this issue worth fixating on? You can learn a lot of physics without leaving the one dimensional, one directional case. Even a simple freefall problem can be broken in two parts, treating up and down separately. It is not as elegant, but it avoids this issue and lets you move on. I am not a giant Hewitt fan, but I agree with him that kinematics can become a black hole...

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of William Robertson
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 12:11 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] definitions ... purely operational, or not

I was a bit careless in my use of words. Specifically, I was talking
with this teacher about the use of kinematic equations in one
dimension. She was talking about (vf - vi)/t, in which although we do
use the term speed, because of the pluses and minuses involved in our
choice of what to put in for v, we are really dealing with direction
and therefore dealing with vectors. In such one dimensional problems,
you do have to choose a positive and negative direction. Which
direction is positive determines whether you assign and positive or
negative value to v. In this situation, stating that increases in
speed are always positive is a huge mistake. Suppose you assign plus
to the right and minus to the left. Then when something speeds up to
the right, you end up with a large positive v minus a smaller positive
v, and a positive acceleration. Fine. But if an object speeds up to
the left, you will end up with a negative rather than positive
acceleration, which is correct given your choice of plus and minus.
However, this teacher would be hamstrung by thinking that all
increases in speed are positive accelerations. So, I really was
talking about vectors, but was loose in my language.

As for accelerations and decelerations, you can talk all you want
about how these have been viewed historically and whether or not
someone is technically correct in their use, but we have to consider
the great confusion this causes with the average person trying to
understand science. While it might be correct to call slowing down a
deceleration, it is a short step for the learner (one the learner
often makes on his or her own) to deceleration being negative
acceleration. And of course what does one do with objects moving in a
circle? And "there is no such thing as deceleration" compares not at
all to "there is no such thing as centrifugal force." One is a choice
of words that makes things clearer (by they way, I do say that using
deceleration is fine in everyday language but confusing when dealing
with physics) and the other is a refusal to look at things from a
different frame of reference. Unless you want to say that rotating and
non-rotating frames of reference are like everyday language and
stricter language of physics.

At some point, we have to help people understand physics by using
consistent terms (I failed at that in my use of speed and velocity)
and not saying gosh, golly, gee it's okay for people to use different
language because well, you know, they're really not wrong historically
or some other way. What might be a minor difference in wording to a
physicist who can "get through" that to the heart of the matter,
becomes a major stumbling block for many.

Bill

William C. Robertson, Ph.D.