Re: [Phys-l] definitions ... purely operational, or not

I would be okay with not using weight at all, but the fact is that textbooks use it. And if we stick to classic textbooks, then there is a clear definition of weight. The problem comes when all the working physicists and physics teachers and profs don't like the definition used there and want to alter it. In the end, we just confuse students. As I said before, I have no problem with various definitions of weight in conversations among the aforementioned physics types, but we really should have a consistent definition when educating students. If you agree that we should use a consistent definition, then why not the one we all learned by reading Halliday and Resnick, Sears and Zemansky, Hudson and Nelson, or even Feynman?

Bill

William C. Robertson, Ph.D.
Bill Robertson Science, Inc.
Stop Faking It! Finally Understanding Science So You Can Teach It.
wrobert9@ix.netcom.com
1340 Telemark Drive
Woodland Park, CO 80863
719-686-1609