Re: [Phys-l] definitions ... purely operational, or not

You are as always free to define terms however you choose,
but please be aware that other may choose differently.

In particular, if you want to define some sort of _net weight_
or _effective weight_ and explain in a footnote that it includes
a buoyancy term (as Michael H. did), then I am 100% OK with
that. The rule here is simple: Say what you mean and mean
what you say.

If you are talking among physicists or physics educators, or relatively advanced physics students, then I would agree with you. Such an audience can understand an effective weight. But since this is a physics education listserv, I would think we would want to use terms that one would use in the average classroom. Even though we expect people in this current discussion should be able to follow (with careful explanation of the "new" definition) any non-standard definition, I see the very real possibility of many taking something explained here directly to the classroom. Coming up with one's own definition of weight (operational or otherwise) cannot help but confuse the average student. For the classroom, I believe one should use the simple definitions provided in classic texts by classic educators. And no, I'm not completely sure what a classic educator is. ;o)

Bill

William C. Robertson, Ph.D.