Re: [Phys-l] failure is always an option

On May 10, 2008, at 12:13 AM, Richard Grandy wrote:

Counseling/mentoring are very important. Our varsity athletes
average several hundred SAT points below the class average, but they
graduate at close to the overall student rate because they have very
good counseling and advising.

That has become very important to the NCAA and to the prestige of a university. They have a point system for the athletic teams, having to do with the number of credits achieved, graduation numbers and something else I can't recall. It's called the AGP or APG or something like that. (anyone know what it is?) I know this because recently one large Philadelphia university recently scored below the NCAA standards for their football team and the paper ran the story comparing them to the other nearby universities.

Marty