Re: [Phys-l] Lecture vs Advocacy

I no longer see our viewpoints as being at odds. I agree with everything you said regarding method of instruction. I simply add that if you're excited it is easier for others to be excited about the same thing and thus increase interest in it. I will look into these studies further. I am taking a course in education psychology next semester, so I am sure many of these ideas will be addressed during that term. I also misunderstood what you meant when you mentioned the studies Piaget did on children's learning. Because preoperational covers the majority of childhood (although I could and maybe should have included concrete operational) I restricted your statement to mean only preoperational children. I was unaware that most adults do not achieve formal operation. I like what you have to say about cognitive dissonance, indeed I see it as nearly impossible to change someones viewpoint without a level of dissonance. Unless you have more to add (which I would be happy to read further on), I don't see any need to refute what you have said as I am in agreement with it...however I am holding fast to the belief that the level of the instructor's interest and excitement about what they are teaching has a positive correlation to learning. Given two professors of equal capability, identical curriculum, and the same imaginary audience, the one who presents it in a way that shows they are truly in love with what they are teaching will have a more positive response than the professor with their nose buried in the lectern, a dull droning voice, and antiquated visual aids.

I just found this study as the term immediacy finally came back to me just as I was about to conclude this posting...my mind is so full of other things right now studying for the finals I'm taking this week, I was going nuts not being able to remember that term! I believe this study fully supports what I contend. If you see discrepancy please bring it to light.

NOTE: The study done was on communication courses, not physics. Other than that fact everything seems to line up with what we are talking about.

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=ED346532&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=ED346532

Click ERIC Full Text for the .pdf

Trevor Fink