Re: [Phys-l] failure is always an option

At 10:17 AM 5/10/2008, Marty, you wrote:

On May 10, 2008, at 12:13 AM, Richard Grandy wrote:

> Counseling/mentoring are very important. Our varsity athletes
> average several hundred SAT points below the class average, but they
> graduate at close to the overall student rate
/snip/
That has become very important to the NCAA and to the prestige of a
university. They have a point system for the athletic teams, having
to do with the number of credits achieved, graduation numbers and
something else I can't recall. It's called the AGP or APG or
something like that. (anyone know what it is?) /snip/
Marty

Quoting from TexasTeams...

Academic Performance Rate.

"The APR is calculated by allocating points for eligibility and retention.
Each player on a given roster earns a maximum of two points per team,
one for being academically eligible and one for remaining at the
institution. A team's APR is the total points of a team's roster
at a given time divided by the total points possible.
Teams that fail to achieve an APR score of 925 -- equivalent to a
50% graduation rate -- may be penalized with the loss of
scholarships. A perfect score is 1000.

"The APR is designed to measure semester-by-semester academic
progress, and thus provides a more real-time assessment of
teams' academic performance than the six-year Graduation
Success Rate (GSR).

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!