Re: [Phys-l] treadmill vs open road

At 09:19 -0400 5/9/08, Rick Tarara wrote:

Strange...I have the opposite experience with a home elliptical. We walk
extensively (100 km during a 10 day trip to Florida at Xmas, and average at
least 3 miles a day in decent weather at home). But on my elliptical (if I
believe the calibrations at all--which I don't), I can be panting and
'exhausted' doing a mile at a 3 mph rate. I think the elliptical is
measuring the distance from the rotation of the resistance drum or from the
linear motion of the foot pads, but this doesn't seem to correlate well with
actual walking. Anyway--doing a mile on the elliptical seems equivalent to
2-3 miles walking--to me!

I've only tried an elliptical once, and almost killed myself (the motion required was way too far out of my normal coordination range), but as I was trying to make the damned thing work, I thought that it wasn't much like waking to me--it seemed a lot harder than walking, so I would say that your longer-term experience was consistent with my impression as I escaped my near-death experience on that informal machine.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar