Re: [Phys-l] treadmill vs open road

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hugh Haskell" <hhaskell@mindspring.com>

I'm not a runner of any sort, but I have used a treadmill on occasion
for walking exercise, and I find that I can sustain a considerably
higher rate of "motion" on a treadmill than I can when walking, even
on a level path. On a treadmill, the "normal" walking speed of about
2.5 mph seems quite slow, and I can easily maintain a speed of close
to 4 mph--one that would leave me panting and exhausted after a short
time on a walking trail.

Strange...I have the opposite experience with a home elliptical. We walk extensively (100 km during a 10 day trip to Florida at Xmas, and average at least 3 miles a day in decent weather at home). But on my elliptical (if I believe the calibrations at all--which I don't), I can be panting and 'exhausted' doing a mile at a 3 mph rate. I think the elliptical is measuring the distance from the rotation of the resistance drum or from the linear motion of the foot pads, but this doesn't seem to correlate well with actual walking. Anyway--doing a mile on the elliptical seems equivalent to 2-3 miles walking--to me!

Rick