Re: [Phys-l] treadmill vs open road

This may not be relevent, but I believe in the psychological effects of outdoors vs indoors walking or running. If I walk briskly outdoors I find I can go much further at the same speed as on the indoor track or treadmill. I greet people, observe people's gardens and lawns, and see the vehicles roll by. To my surprise I notice I have gone several miles and it's time to turn around and go back, often by a different route where there are different neighbors, cars, and more flowers and birds to gawk at. Compare that to the indoor track or treadmill (or even the high school track nearby)....... boring (even with the tv's they have in the gym)! I go around the track a few times and I am bored; not tired, not winded, just bored. The only way I can do the same indoors as outdoors is if a friend or two walk alongside. Then, at least, we have a spirited conversation to keep us going. That's just my own personal view. There are people I know at the gym who can go two or three miles on the track, walking or running (12 times around = 1 mile) with little boredom. I guess they get into the *zen* of it all, something I cannot do indoors.
Now, let's take up biking! indoors vs outdoors.....?? nothing like a nice bumpy outdoor mountainbike trek through the park, dodging trees, rocks, and bushes (not to mention the occasional dog)! Sure beats the stationery any day! Opinions on this anyone?

Marty

On May 9, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Rick Tarara wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hugh Haskell" <hhaskell@mindspring.com>

I'm not a runner of any sort, but I have used a treadmill on occasion
for walking exercise, and I find that I can sustain a considerably
higher rate of "motion" on a treadmill than I can when walking, even
on a level path. On a treadmill, the "normal" walking speed of about
2.5 mph seems quite slow, and I can easily maintain a speed of close
to 4 mph--one that would leave me panting and exhausted after a short
time on a walking trail.

Strange...I have the opposite experience with a home elliptical. We walk
extensively (100 km during a 10 day trip to Florida at Xmas, and average at
least 3 miles a day in decent weather at home). But on my elliptical (if I
believe the calibrations at all--which I don't), I can be panting and
'exhausted' doing a mile at a 3 mph rate. I think the elliptical is
measuring the distance from the rotation of the resistance drum or from the
linear motion of the foot pads, but this doesn't seem to correlate well with
actual walking. Anyway--doing a mile on the elliptical seems equivalent to
2-3 miles walking--to me!

Rick