Re: [Phys-l] treadmill vs open road

At 08:31 -0400 5/9/08, Brian Blais wrote:

I can think of no difference in the physics between the
two systems which would give rise to the different experiences.

How about this. On a treadmill your upper body undergoes essentially no horizontal motion or acceleration, so your legs are essentially required to move only their own mass and not the mass of your upper body. Thus running on a treadmill is less work than running on a road or track.

I'm not a runner of any sort, but I have used a treadmill on occasion for walking exercise, and I find that I can sustain a considerably higher rate of "motion" on a treadmill than I can when walking, even on a level path. On a treadmill, the "normal" walking speed of about 2.5 mph seems quite slow, and I can easily maintain a speed of close to 4 mph--one that would leave me panting and exhausted after a short time on a walking trail.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar