Re: [Phys-l] Invariant mass and relativist mass...

On 02/26/2008 05:06 PM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
I am still having a problem understanding why the gamma factor would
be applied to the mass

That's a good question. I sympathize.

at the introductory level.

Or at any other level.

If students are at
the F=ma level, then the "m" that gives the reistance to acceleration
is really m0/(1-v^2/c^2)^(3/2), as I had noted in another posting.

We certainly agree about the presence of a gamma^3 factor.
But why attach it to the mass? It would be better to attach
it to the acceleration, or leave it unattached. Gamma is
basically d(t)/d(tau) ... and the 3-acceleration is where all
the t factors are.

The gamma factor is actually not the factor that gives the increased
resistance to acceleration - so why use it?

I don't use it! (Not for that purpose, anyway.)

Factors of gamma are needed when converting from a 4-velocity
to a 3-velocity, because the former is defined in terms of
d/d(tau) while the latter is conventionally defined in terms
of d/d(t).

It's got nothing to do with mass, inertia, or momentum. It's
all about projecting from one reference frame to another.
The rule is: relativity is just the geometry and trigonometry
of spacetime.

The gamma^3 factor is worked out in some detail, from a modern
(post-1908) spacetime point of view, at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime-acceleration.htm

The factor of gamma^3 is derived without ever mentioning mass.
It's got nothing to do with mass.