Re: [Phys-l] Invariant mass and relativist mass...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Savinainen Antti" <antti.savinainen@kuopio.fi>

I have taught intro relativity to HS students for a number of years. I can assure that my students do not find it hard at all to understand the experiment mentioned above without relativistic mass.
Here is how I do it: it is not a surprise to students that Newtonian formulas do not hold when speed increases. Thus it is quite straight forward to introduce the definition of momentum with the gamma factor and show that it is consistent with the Newtonian definition when speeds are low. Then the gamma factor is evaluated with different speeds and plotted against speed. Its behaviour is quite obvious and "explains" why "momentum rises much faster than velocity". There is no need to say that mass increases; the only thing is to realize that the earlier definition of momentum is just an approximation.

Not sure I see how attaching gamma to the momentum is more 'satisfying' to intro students than attaching it to the mass. We have two fundamental concepts--mass and velocity which can be reasonably 'understood' from everyday experience. When we combine them, we have a new concept--somewhat more abstract in my mind, but I know others would set momentum as primary here. That concept, momentum, can be pretty well 'understood' again from experience--I stress that we have good instincts about momentum.

Now we go to the relativistic realm. Momentum doesn't increase linearly as we would deduce from our Newtonian experiences, but we can directly measure the velocities which are limited by the speed of light. I guess I have an easier time (I try always to put myself in the mind-set of my students, and maybe after 30 years of teaching ONLY intro physics, I myself am pretty much stuck in that mind set ;-) with the idea that the mass is increasing in the high speed realm rather than that the momentum was really a lot more complicated in the low speed realm. But as someone else wrote--it ultimately is a matter of taste, at least at the level we are discussing.

Rick