Re: [Phys-l] The attack on science is political, not philosophical Wrong; shoulda been "The role of simulation".

I wondered about that also, and guessed a correction would come from among the multitude of pilots on this list.

bc jealous.

LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

I'm a little confused by the statement "But it is completely different when you are landing" in the article. Power off landings are some of the most useful things you can do with a simulator. You learn all the things you should NOT do - without suffering the consequences. The pilots certainly used all their skills and training on this one.

Even relatively crude simulations like Microsoft Flight Simulator provide amazingly realistic training. Find someone who has a copy and try landing the sailplane provided. As a physicist you will certainly be impressed with the energy management required to land an aircraft that has to make the field on the first attempt. On all aircraft you can explore the relationship between pitch and airspeed, and power/drag and rate of descent. School systems could never afford to give students the real life experience to learn these things, but can readily supply it with a $39 piece of software.

Bob at PC

cut