Re: [Phys-l] Rude?

At 04:39 PM 1/21/2008, bc, you wrote:
[BB]
"Frankly, I have found the responses on this issue to be pretty rude!
...I was taken aback a bit."
[bc]
This has come up before WRT people who hesitate to post because
of their fear of being pilloried. ...
[BLM]
Ain't rocket science Jack - just search ...."

For some reason, I remember some undergraduate efforts with a tachistoscope. This is an instrument for presenting briefly, a selected image to either or both eyes. An 'ordinary' image needed a rather brief exposure in order to achieve conscious recognition. An emotionally charged image, by contrast, sometimes needed a much longer presentation time in order to be recognized. This differential has a name - something like "perceptual barrier".

It appears to be the case that we all have more difficulty in finding items
which are in some sense "unwelcome".
[By the way, I have noticed several of the bc contributions of late, have shown the effects of reformatting to book style compositing: i.e wall to wall text, overriding quotation indicators like >>> and adding curious effects like this snippet -
(cliché warning)
- which to my reader presents as fifteen characters within parentheses. ]

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!