Re: [Phys-l] Intelligent designists fight back

Phrased poorly when read out of context (my quote). I have no problem with correcting an obvious error. "Correcting" one's beliefs (or culture, since that is essentially equivilent) should not be the function of the schools. In many cases (and it only takes the ONE your kid is in), the answer is yes, the schools tend to overstep, although it is not necessarily intentional. Many teachers of the sciences in middle, and even high school, don't fully understand what science is in a philosophical sense. You don't ever hear them say "We think" or "The evidence seems to suggest". Instead they tend to say (or more likely imply) that "Life developed from single-celled organisms" or "Modern man evolved from ape-like ancestors". This leads to the widespread belief that man evolved FROM apes, which is not accurate even to the prevailing theory. People don't understand the limitations of science, and tend to assume that everything science says is "true" or "correct". And that belief leads to understandable confusion when they're subsequently told that what "we" said they shouldn't eat twenty years ago is actually GOOD for them and necessary to good health. So when a science teacher doesn't emphasize the process involved and instead implies certainty, I view that as a bad thing.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Tarara" <rbtarara@sprynet.com>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Intelligent designists fight back

Let me make Stefan's question clearer (at least to me). Isn't the first
quoted paragraph exactly what public schools do (in some people's minds)
when they teach evolution (or fill in the blank with your favorite belief
that is contrary to public education or practice)?

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stefan Jeglinski" <jeglin@4pi.com>

>There is no
need for conflict between us until or unless you decide it's your right
and/or duty to "correct" me and/or my children. That would be, and is,
totally unnecessary, and it would be presumptuous of you to take it upon
yourself to do so.