Re: [Phys-l] Decays

On 3-Jun-06 Jack Uretsky wrote:

Hi all-
Not to disparage the ongoing sociology discussion, but I am currently bemused by the following bit of physics.

First of all, good for you, Jack. Let me disparage it - to myself!

Consider a decay process: A -> b + b, where A is much more massive than b. The decay amplitude is equal to some coupling constant times the overlap between the A-state and the b-continuum. The overlap is proportional to the density of continuum states at energy equal to the mass of the B. I can take the view that the decay is a transition from a low-entropy configuration (1 available state) to a higher entropy configuration (high density of states). My questions: (1) Has anyone ever seen decay processes described in such language? and/or (2) Have I hypnotized myself into something foolish?

I think that you have simply observed that the decay process is consistent with the second law of thermodynamics as well as the first law. That is unsurprising, of course. Were it otherwise (as it is in the case of a neutron decaying within a neutron star) the decay process would be forbidden by the second law. You have not hypnotized yourself, and what you observe is not foolish, but you have probably observed it before and forgotten about it.

Leigh