Re: [Phys-l] Unit Conversions (was Mass and Energy)

From: John Clement <clement@hal-pc.org>

I had totally missed one point. By giving them accommodations, you also
took away some learning opportunities. According to the law this is not
giving them accommodations, and is illegal. You are not allowed to make
them miss important class time to get accommodations. If this is
challenged, and there is a law suit, it might be lost.

Richard Tarara wrote:

And does anyone wonder why I put LAWYERS at the top of my 'blame list'

The only thing worse than lawyers is non-lawyers giving legal advice.

I'm not a lawyer either, but I have it on pretty good authority that:

1) Laws of congress do not overturn laws of nature.

2) There is no such thing as "extra time". The moving finger
writes, and having writ, moves on. There are still only 86400
seconds in a day. When somebody asks for "extra time", that
time *must* come from something else.

Also: Absent specific laws to the contrary, I reckon the professor
has considerable discretion to decide where the "extra" time is
to be taken from. If you have any real doubt about the legality
of what you're doing (and I don't see why you should), talk to a
real lawyer about it.