[Phys-L] Re: Some Ramblings On Randomness and Casualty

On 07/14/05 10:20, Robert B Zannelli wrote:

1) The fundamental constituents of reality , let's say particles , do have
objective properties independent of measurement BUT these properties are NOT
the classical properties which they do not posses.The classical objective
properties are emergent and not fundamental.

2) The Determinism of nature is not undermined by quantum theory as is often
said , though we are limited to only knowing the probabilities for
individual events at the quantum scale. However, these probabilities are themselves
deterministic and lead to classical determinism on the macro scale.

The first point is a different take on QT I think while the second point
should not be controversial. This is all I am trying to say. These are
interpretive metaphysical assertions , hence propose no new physics.

As to point (1): Saying the classical objective properties are
emergent sounds, to my ears, like a version of the correspondence
principle ... and therefore not controversial.

As to point (2): Probably we (almost) all agree that thinking
about the probabilities is the sensible way to do physics.

However, the discussion of "determinism" is highly open to
misunderstanding, because many folks _define_ determinism to
specifically exclude a probabilistic description.

I, for one, would say quantum behavior is lawful but not
deterministic.