[Phys-L] Re: Some Ramblings On Randomness and Casualty

In a message dated 7/14/2005 1:16:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jsd@AV8N.COM writes:

As to point (1): Saying the classical objective properties are
emergent sounds, to my ears, like a version of the correspondence
principle ... and therefore not controversial.

As to point (2): Probably we (almost) all agree that thinking
about the probabilities is the sensible way to do physics.

However, the discussion of "determinism" is highly open to
misunderstanding, because many folks _define_ determinism to
specifically exclude a probabilistic description.

I, for one, would say quantum behavior is lawful but not
deterministic.

Hmm you are the second person to say this. This same remark was made on
another physics list. This might be a better way of making the same point.

Bob Zannelli