Re: Reading Science/Math Texts - PART 1

PART 1
As indicated in my post "Re: Reading Science Texts," [Hake (2004)],
high-school chemistry teacher John Mackin (2004) asked some excellent
questions on Chemed-L [bracketed by lines "MMMMM. . . . .":

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
As I review this almost-completed year, I recognize that some of my
students came to chemistry class with limited abilities to learn
from a science textbook. This seems to be a more prevalent problem
than in previous years. Several questions come to mind.

1. Are others noticing this trend?

2. Are there any excellent resources available to teach students how
to extract information from science texts?

3. Does anyone know of a pre-test to assess a student's ability to
learn from a science text?
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Is the reading comprehension of students worth commenting on? The
number of responses to my post that reiterated Mackin's questions
were as follows:

AP-Physics. . . . 1

Chemed-L. . . . . 1

Math-Learn. . . 51*

PhysLrnR . . . . 22

Phys-L . . . . . .0

Physhare . . . . 0

POD. . . . . . . 0

TOTAL . . . . .. 75

*Math Learn posts can be accessed by typing "Reading Science Texts"
(without the quotes) into the "Search Archive" slot at
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/math-learn/>.To access the archives of
other discussion lists see Hake (2003).

So it would appear that (with rare exception) only subscribers to
Math-Learn and PhysLnrR thought reading comprehension of students was
worthy of comment. Is the apparent neglect of this area by other
subscribers (especially those POD'ers in the university Teaching and
Learning Centers) justified?

That such neglect may NOT be justified is suggested by Mike Zeilik's
(2004) PhysLrnR post. Zeilik wrote [bracketed by lines "ZZZZZZZ. . .
.":

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
1. As the world's oldest living astronomy textbook author, I have had over
25 years of frustration with this issue. My current version (9th
edition). . . [Zeilik (2001)]. . . has a reading level
(Flesch-Kincaid) from 7th to 10th grade, depending on the chapter.
When I asked students one semester what they
thought the reading level of the book was (what grade level), over
30% said "junior-year college level" and higher! Only 10% or so said
something like "high school" in response.

2. My book also includes a section on "How to Study Astronomy" written by
Mark Hollabaugh, who teaches at a 2-year school. I have no evidence that it
helps. My feeling is that it is not read or understood if read!

I really don't think that this problem is much worse than, say, 10
years ago. What concerns me more is that the students by and large do
not understand the wonderful (!) illustrations in the book, after
years of work to make them understandable to novices. I have checked
this by lifting diagrams from the book and placing them on tests and
asking questions about them. Terrible results, usually 30% correct!

If anyone finds #3. . .[a pre-test to assess a student's ability to
learn from a science text]. . . , let me know and I will post on the
FLAG . . .[FLAG (2004)].
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ