Re: regression in AppleWorks 6.2.4?

At 17:04 -0400 8/19/02, Joe Heafner wrote:

I'm a recent (18 May) convert to the Mac platform. Is there no way
to do linear regression under AppleWorks' spreadsheet? Hugh?

Last evening I was putting together a vector assignment. In less
than one hour, I was able to create my document and drawings in
AppleWorks, convert them to PDF with Adobe Acrobat (rather than OS
X's native PDF generation, I created PS files and distilled them to
PDF), and print them out. The productivity factor is simply better
on a Mac. TeXShop provides a superb LaTeX environment on Mac OS X
too.

I'm happy to hear that you are having good Mac experiences. Sounds
like you are doing things I have never even thought of. WRT linear
regression on Appleworks, I have to plead ignorance. I'm not a big
user of spreadsheets for that kind of work. I suspect that you can,
but I haven't looked into it. I am a big fan of Vernier's Graphical
Analysis, because it is so easy to use, so what I usually do is
generate data in the spreadsheet and then import it into GA where it
is trivially easy to do any sort of regression or curve fit. I took a
workshop at Boise on using spreadsheets, but it was based on Excel,
which may still be the most powerful spreadsheet around. We were
doing animation and all sorts of interesting stuff, and the Mac
version of Excel works almost exactly like the windows version, so I
had little trouble following the workshop on my Mac PowerBook, even
though everyone else was using a PC. It was interesting, but perhaps
not the sort of stuff I will be doing a lot of in the future.

I just don't know how much of these things Appleworks can do, since I
didn't know that Excel could do most of them. I still find GA to be
one of the most user-friendly graphing programs I have run across, so
I will probably continue to concentrate on it.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>