Re: NOT CIRCLES! DRIFT! was (Re: electron circles, or not)

I'm confused by your clarification. How is this a velocity selector? Are the
electrons injected through the side of the solenoid along the z axis?

Since the magnetic force is inherently described by vector manipulation - or some
equivalent mnemonic (I'm assuming this is a presentation for an introductory
General Physics course) - what is the meaning of not "invoking the right-hand
rule"?

Bob at Providence College

Jack Uretsky wrote:

Take the y-axis to be the axis of a very long solenoid. The
current, as looked at from the negative end of the axis, circulates
clockwise, creating a uniform magnetic field inside the solenoid. A
uniform electric field inside the solenoid is directed along the positive
x-axis, |E| < |B| . It is known that such an apparatus is a velocity
selector for electrons. Tell me how to quickly argue the
direction of the velocity that is selected by this apparatus without
invoking the right-hand rule. The path of such electrons, by the way,
complete with circles, is shown in Jackson's book, 2d Ed., p. 583.