Re: Induction and moving rod on a U-shaped conductor

When a conducting rod is moving in a uniform magnetic field (rod, magnetic
field, velocity mutually perpendicular) charge accumulation establish at the
ends of the rod. If the rod slides along a stationary U-shaped conductor, an
induced current is established around the circuit.
My question is about the motion of the elkectrons of the U-shaped conductor
when these electrons reachthe moving rod: Do the electrons from the U-shaped
cpnductor go inside the rod?

Yes, they do, but it is physically impossible to distinguish one
electron from another, so my answer is really mystical; there's
no way to verify it empirically. For the purposes of high school
physics teaching I'd go ahead and answer "Yes".

An excellent analysis about the motion of electrons has been made by
Young-Freedman (University Physics- ninth edition pg. 953) But they don' t
mention what happens if the electrons of U-shaped conductor reach the moving
rod.

I have another question about the electrons' motion in the U-shaped
conductor and rod. Suppose that the rod has big length, bigger than the
opening of the U-shaped conductor so its ends exceed the U-shaped
conductor. What happens with the electrons? Do they accumulate at the point
of the rod, where the rod meets tha U-shaped conductor? If so, why does this
happen? Don't forget that the whole rod is inside a uniform magnetic

They flow into and out of the rod at the contact points, and
charge builds up on both of the ends sticking out. This question
is easier to analyze if one merely considers the forces acting on
the electrons in the rod's frame of reference. The overhanging
electrons are not accelerating, but there is a magnetic force
acting on them due to the moving magnetic field.therefore they
are in an electric field, and that field is due to charge
accumulations on the surface of the rod.

Leigh