Re: how many "forces" (or better, interactions)?

I see. Am I to infer that phenomena at higher energies are not
well modeled by the four interactions known, and that the Higgs
particle's existence is accurately inferred from those higher
energy data? You don't say exactly that.

Leigh

I'm sorry, perhaps I didn't answer your question as directly
as I should have. The phenomena that require the Higgs interaction
are the very existence of nonzero masses for most of the quarks
and leptons as well as the W and Z. Also the various "mixing"
angles which allow, for instance, a strange quark to decay to
an up quark. These phenomena are well modeled by various
terms in the standard model Lagrangian, which I suppose
are somewhat analogous to the old Fermi theory of beta
decay. But just as the Fermi theory was silent on higher-energy
phenomena (like W and Z resonances), so also we expect there
to be a rich set of Higgs interaction phenomena at higher energies
which are not predicted by the "minimal" standard model.

-dan